played 24th Nov 1993

Kilcummin and Dr. Crokes' served. up a spirited and highly entertaining game of football in the O'Sullivan Cup final played at the Fitzgerald Stadium on Sunday last. The superior fitness and determination of the Kilcummin side carried them through to a deserved three point victory.

In a high-scoring game played in ideal conditions and which can see Kenneth Buckley of Dr. Crokes crash home three goals in as many minutes, it was Kilcummin's ability to pick off long range points that served! them well throughout.

Mike Buckley opened the scoring with a point for Dr. Crokes but Kilcummin through Owen Moynihan notched up three points and Tom O'Leary in the half back line for Kilcummin initiated a great move which saw Seanie Leary free to take a well turned goal after twelve minutes of play.

Martin Burns pointed for Dr. Crokes following a pass from full forward Mike Brosnan. Donal Dwyer and Michael O'Connor added points for Kilcummin before Kenneth Buckley scored the first of his three goals in the twentieth minute.

Dr. Crokes were awarded a 45 which Martin Byrns directed into the corner of the square. Buckley came running in and punched the ball to the net. His second goal was created by Mike Brosnan and Paudie O'Sullivan combined well with Mike Brosnan again to feed corner forward Buckley for his third goal.

The scores now stood at 3-2 for Dr. Crokes to 1-5 for Kilcummin. The latter fought back and dominated play for the rest of the half with Brendan O'Donoghue and captain Dinny O'Connor, adding minors to come within a point of their opponents.

Martin Byrns stretched Dr. Crokes lead once again with a point but this was negated by Diarmuid O'Callaghan for Kilcummin following combination play by Brendan O'Donoghue and Donal Dwyer. On the call of half time O'Donoghue and Dwyer were again instrumental in fashioning a well worked goal which was scored by centre field man Michael O’Leary, to leave the scores at the interval: Kilcummin 2-8, Dr. Crokes 3-3.

Fullback for Kilcummin, Tadgh Moynihan, extended his side's lead to three points following good work between himself, Michael O'Leary and Diarmuid O'Callaghan. Donal Dwyer immediately added another point. From the Dr. Crokes kick out, Kilcummin's centre half forward, O'Callaghan, fielded the ball and kicked a fine point, while Michael O'Leary added another to give his side a five point lead.

Then came a Dr. Crokes' revival which , had Martin Byrns and Mike Bronson kicking fine points before Martin Byrns pointed the first of three frees, which put the sides on level terms. However, Kilcummin's greater stamina began to tell and within the next ten minutes, points by Michael O'Leary, Seanie O'Leary and Diarmuid Callaghan copper fastened victory to leave them worthy winners on a scoreline of Kilcummin 2-15, Dr. Crokes 3-9. Kilcummin 2-15 Dr. Crokes 3-9

Referee: Pat O'Donoghue of Fossa did a fine job.

Teams and Scorers :

Kilcummin: Pat Finn, John O'Connor, Tadgh Moynihan (0-1), Timmie McCarthy; Tom O'Leary, Micheal Doolan, Dinny O'Connor (Capt) (0-1), Michael O'Leary (0-2), Michael O'Connor (0-1), Brendan O'Donoghue (0-1), Diarmuid O'Callaghan (0-3), Seanie O'Leary (1-1), Owen Moynihan (0-3), Donal Dwyer (0- 2), Derry O'Leary.

Sub: M. O'Connor.

Dr. Crokes: Pat O'Sullivan, John Foley, Denis Corridan, Padraig Murphy; Mark Cooper, Brian McCarthy, Diarmuid Carroll; Mike Buckley (0- 1), John Cronin; Connie Doherty (0-1), Martin Byrns (0-6), Paudie O'Sullivan; Tim Keogh, Mike Brosnan (0-1), Kenneth Buckley (3-0). Subs: Brian O'Donoghue, Darren Gaffey.

Copyright The Killarney Advertiser

Back to Top