played 27th Oct 1991

The O'Sullivan Cup final between Glenflesk and Dr. Crokes B ended in a controversial draw at Kilcummin on Sunday last, when referee Richie Williams awarded a penalty to Glenflesk In the final minute. Seamus Moynihan scored for Glenflesk to earn a draw 3-5 to 1-11.

A sparkling third quarter highlighted by three wonderful points by substitute, J.P. O'Shea, put Dr. Crokes 1-11 to 2-5 clear approaching full time. A final attack by Glenflesk ended in controversy. Aidan Kiely fielded in the crowded goalmouth, and when the referee sounded the whistle, it appeared to be a free out. Was big Brendan O'Brien fouled? Richie Williams indecision caused tempers to rise. His penalty award was hotly disputed by a very annoyed Crokes defence, and after the game players and some officials displayed their frustration.

The whole affair will be investigated by the E.K.B. The Chairman and Secretary were in attendance at the game. No replay date has been fixed until that investigation has been completed. Referee Richie William had a poor game. He has done well in most of the games where I saw him refereeing over several years. His main difficulty on Sunday was indecision. Just before halftime he made hand signals for a penalty, when Dermot Kelly seemed to be impeded as he headed in for Crokes goal. He did take some names at the three quarter stage and one player can be deemed lucky to have been left on the field. The late penalty award was the culmination of an unhappy second half.

The opening half was keenly contested and provided passages of good football. Paud O'Donoghue shot Glenflesk into an early lead with a point from 20 metres and after Mike Brosnan tied the scoring. The Crokes net had a lucky escape when a blistering shot from Kieran O'Sullivan came off the crossbar.

The town side forged ahead when good passing movement ended with Kenneth Buckley finding the net. The cheering had barely subsided when Seamus Moynihan soloed fifty metres before unleashing a blistering shot which was parried by Crokes goalkeeper Pat O'Sullivan. Moynihan collected the rebound and crashed to the net. Two minutes later John O'Donoghue lofted over a good point to leave Glenflesk ahead at the interval on the score 1-3 to 1-2.

Glenflesk re-opened at a blistering pace with Paud O'Donoghue taking a pass from Eugene Bowler to loft over a good point. A good passing movement involving Paud O'Donoghue, Eugene Bowler and John Crowley ended with the latter crashing home a fine goal from 13 meters. Crowley tipped over a free to stretch the Glenflesk lead to four points.

Roland Neher, Danny Cooper and Mike Brosnan replied with points for the town side to reduce the deficits. At this stage Crokes introduced the talented J.P. O'Shea to their attack and the former Kerry Minor star proceeded to turn in a vintage performance. He scored three fine points to put Crokes into a three point lead with less than two minutes left to play.

Glenflesk sensing that the game was slipping from their grasp launched a series of attacks and in the fIfty ninth minute referee Richie Williams awarded them a penalty, when a forward was allegedly dispossessed inside the parrellogram and Seamus Moynihan crashed the spot kick to the net to tie the scoring.

Glenflesk: Tony Murphy, Seamus O'Brien, Ted O'Leary, Jimmy O'Shea, Sean Ivo O'Donoghue, Brendan O'Brien, Kieran O'Sullivan. Pat D O'Donoghue, Seamus Moynihan (2-0), Eugene Bowler, Der Kelly 0-1, In. Crowley I-I, Paud O'Donoghue, Freddy Bartlett, John O'Donoghue 0-2, Sub; Conor Daly.

Dr. Crokes: Pat O'Sullivan, C. O'Callaghan, Brendan Keogh, In. Foley, Aidan Kiely, Gerry Murphy, Charles Sheehan, Dan Cooper 0- 1, Vince Casey 0-1, MI. Brosnan 0-2, Roland Neher 0-3, Kenneth Buckley 1-0, Chris O'Connor,. Colm Galvin, MI. Buckley. Subs: John O'Donoghue, J.P. O'Shea 0-3.

Referee: Richie Williams, Fossa.

Copyright The Kerry's Eye

The football season came to a close on Sunday (Dec. 15th 1991) when the club was presented with its fifth trophy. The East Kerry board has decided to award the O'Sullivan Cup to Glenflesk. Jimmy O'Shea, captain of the senior team received the Cup from John Kelly, East Kerry board chairman. The club wishes to thank J.J. O’Donoghue and his wife Margaret and staff for their hospitality and sponsorship of this victory celebration.

Copyright The Kerry's Eye

Back to Top