played 22nd Oct 2006

Scartaglen 2-8 Listry 0-5

Scartaglen captured the Central Car Sales O’Sullivan Cup following a fully deserved victory over a very disappointing Listry side at Fitzgerald Stadium on Sunday afternoon last. Scartaglen dictated matters for most of the opening half to lead by four points at the interval and during the third quarter they withstood the best that Listry had to offer before ending the game with a flourish. Listry it was who had the early chances but failed to avail of them and ominously Mike Horan pointed in Scartaglen’s first attack after three minutes following a good movement involving man of the match Pa Rahilly and J.J. Murphy. Jimmy O’Leary pointed a free to level the scores soon after but with Mike Coakley putting down an early marker in the midfield exchanges, Scartaglen enjoyed plenty of possession and two pointed frees from J.J. Murphy had them leading by 3 points to 1 at the end of the first quarter. Derry Ahern and David Nolan were winning plenty of possession on the wings for the losers but they were too far from goal to be a threat and inside them the Scartaglen full back line was dealing capably with anything that did come their way. Ger O’Shea had a good point from the sideline for Listry but Scart responded with an equally good point from Philip O’Sullivan and another from a J.J. Murphy free after O’Sullivan was fouled going through. Listry chalked up their sixth wide of the half before Pa Rahilly pointed to leave Scartaglen 6 points to 2 ahead at the break, a lead that did not flatter them in the slightest.Listry started in determined fashion on the resumption and Jimmy O’Leary pointed in style after a bout of sustained pressure on the Scart defence, however J.J. Murphy responded with a pointed free from forty yards after another foul on the rampant Pa Rahilly. The winners were under constant pressure in defence at this stage, some of it self inflicted from over elaboration when in possession, however, Listry were unable to capitalise on this period of indecision by Scartaglen. Indeed as the game wore on the winners defence, especially wing backs Seamus O’Riordan and Jeremy O’Driscoll, came more and more into the game and J.J. Murphy made it 8 to 4 with ten remaining after good passing by the Scart forwards. Listry were still in the game, on the scoreboard at least, however all that changed three minutes later when first the inrushing Tom Boyle palmed a fine cross from Mike Horan to the net and then two minutes later they sealed the issue when J.J. Murphy’s speculative shot ended up in the net with Listry keeper Colm Counihan unsighted by the close attendance of Mike Coakley.So a very satisfying victory for Scartaglen and their vocal folklores. They had many heroes on the day none more so than Pa Rahilly while Mike Coakley, Philip O’Sullivan Mike Horan and Seamus O’Riordan were others to catch the eye. This was Scartaglen’s second O’Sullivan Cup title and their first since 1985. Listry were very disappointing on the day especially up front where they never moved with any fluency.

Teams and scorers: Scartaglen; Martin Hewitt, Alan Horan, Jer O’Sullivan, Niall Casey, Seamus O’Riordan, Brendan Rahilly, Jeremy O’Driscoll, Mike Coakley, Philip O’Sullivan (0-1), Alan Dineen, J.J. Murphy (1-5, 0-4 frees), Mike Horan (0-1), Noel Rahilly, Pa Rahilly (0-1), Tom Boyle (1-0). Subs: Daniel Murphy, Jimmy O’Connor, Con Kerin, Freddie O’Connor. Listry: Colm Counihan, Danny Wrenn, Stephen Darmody, John Foley, Mike Tangney, John Paul Mannix, Kieran Murphy, Kieran O’Donoghue (0-1), Paul Darmody, David Nolan, Jimmy O’Leary (0-3, 0-2 frees), Derry Ahern, Ger O’Shea (0-1), Eoin Darmody, Danny Healy. Subs: Mark Kennedy, Alan Tangney and Adrian O’Sullivan. Referee: Michael O’Donoghue (Glenflesk).